Today’s post is a continuation of the “No” topics of my son. The first thing in the morning he says no to is brushing his teeth. Yes, I know how yucky! It is a struggle every morning to get him to brush his teeth. We tried a number of work arounds, different toothpastes, favorite character toothbrushes, lollipops( yes you read that right!), nothing works :(.
So tonight before sleeping, I decided to skip the book reading and do some fun stuff with him ( by fun stuff I mean science!).
- Food coloring
- Skewers (to stir)
- Glass jars
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Dish soap
- Newspapers (to cover the floor)
- Into each glass jar I added 2 tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide solution & a small squeeze of dish soap. And then I let him put food color in each of them. Make sure you cover the surface you are working on with a few newspapers (you will see why soon!)
2. Then I let him put about 2 tablespoons of yeast. Wait for a few minutes.
3. Then he poured about 3/4 cups of lukewarm water into each jar.
4. Each of the Jars erupted into a foamy mixture!
It was so much fun for him to see the eruption of colorful foamy mixture that he clapped! I immediately added, this is how it looks when you brush your teeth every morning & night. Really, mama, come on let’s brush our teeth right now! I said how about we clean up first? No, no let’s go brush our teeth first. My husband & I looked at each other in disbelieve and he decided to help clean up while I helped the kiddo to brush. We did not want that moment to pass! The magic or should I say the magic of science continued this morning as well. He excitedly looked at the foam while brushing his teeth & said you “member” the colorful foam last night ( he cannot say the word remember yet!) I said yes of course I do & we were done with our brushing in a jiffy!
Caution: The foam is okay to touch with bare hands, but please wash your hands with soap when you are done! Handling the hydrogen peroxide requires adult supervision.